Pages

Aaron Smith

Monday, March 18, 2013

Aaron Smith has an absolutely amazing style and paints with thick and bold strokes of oil paint in hallucinatory colors. I'm not much of a painter, but his work is so inspiring. I would love to own a print of his work one day. 

His artist statement:
The Victorian/Edwardian eras have always captured my attention. For years I’ve collected vintage photographs of men of the period. These men for me represent a masculine ideal, if largely a constructed one. Their bearded faces and distinguished attire are spectacular, while their stiff poses and serious expressions belie a certain vulnerability. My recent decision to translate these small colorless photographs into monumental, expressionist portraits is an attempt to ruminate on these contradictions. I also want to draw parallels between the rituals of initiation found in western culture and those practiced in tribal cultures by painting these gentlemen with colors inspired by Bird-of-Paradise and the extravagantly decorated Huli Wigmen of Papua New Guinea.

Shirkster (Prince Albert Victor) 2013, oil on panel, 40"x40"

Uranian (Edward Carpenter) 2012, oil on panel, 24” x 22”

Chippy, 2008, oil on panel, 28" x 28"

Left Handed Likely, 2011, oil on panel, 60" x 48"







No comments:

Post a Comment